Monday, January 5, 2015

Idyllic

Arrived in Port Barton around dinner time....  gotta be the most remote place I have been, excepting a tiny little island in Greece (Anafi) that Jean and I once had the pleasure exploring for a week.

There is nothing here, excepting beauty - and Dan,  Ethel, and Kassandra.  As I've mentioned, I'd reserved space in Port Barton - one of two tiny cottages on the beach, called Kassandra's Cottages.  This past year, these cottages received a coveted award from TripAdvisor, receiving the highest honor for accommodation in all of Palawan.  And I had reserved 50% of their available space.  Here is a picture of where I stayed


Here is the view looking the other way

When I arrived, I was greeted by the sweetest little girl, Kassandra was her name.   She informed me that these were, in fact, HER cottages!  Kassandra was 8 years old and, after allowing me through the gate, she introduced me to her father Dan, and mother Ethel.  After 10 minutes in their company I quickly understood why this place had received the honor it had.  What hosts!  Dan (probably around 45 yrs old), an americano from Chicago, had moved to Port Barton about 18 years ago.   Somewhere along the way, he met Ethel (certainly no more than 28 yrs. old).  Now, I have to say...  Dan has a very very enviable set up going on... First off, Ethel is absolutely stunning, in both appearance and spirit.  And along with his daughter Kassandra, and his location on one of the most amazing beaches I have ever visited... well... its a perfect gig!

He invited me to happy hour on his deck along with his family; Kassandra offering me a piece of cake that she said she had just made for my visit! He and I easily sat there together, laughing and talking and watching the sun go down.  Ethel, for her part, alternatively played with a kitten, practiced yoga positions, and generally shined her light while Kassandra was pleased to show me the artwork she had created from pieces of driftwood and other sea stuff.

It was just about perfect.  There was only one problem looming on the horizon...  I had booked two nights in this idyllic spot, but there was a tropical storm fast approaching!  I had every reason to be very concerned that my exit from this paradise would be delayed...  after all, it was sheer hell getting here, right?  What would that road look like after 10 inches of rainfall?  Crossing rivers instead of streams, landslides instead of unpaved road?  Even though I had just arrived, I understood that given the speed of the storm and the need for prudent decision-making, I must leave the following day, if I was to be assured a visit to el Nido, where I had also advance purchased two nights of lodging.  Oh, this was a very difficult decision from one perspective, but a rather easy one from another.  As much as I wanted to stay, and as road weary as I was, I could not stay trapped in Port Barton!  So, the next morning, after eating a couple bananas and drinking freshly brewed coffee (!) with Dan, I made my hasty departure from Dan, Ethel, Kassandra and Port Barton.  El Nido awaited, and I would be there for New Year's Eve, come rain or shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment