Friday, December 5, 2014

Sleepless in Manila

A very rough trip last night brought us into Manila on time at 4a.  By the time we got to our pension it was after 5.  I am grateful that the travel occurred without a hitch, but I am filled with worry.  Not for me, but for the friends and colleagues I left behind.

On a positive note, at least for my region, the typhoon is tracking more westward than northward, which means wind damage will be less severe in my area, with expected sustained winds peaking at around 100/kph.    Storm surge estimates however still exceed 18 feet, and that IS severe.  This, plus the rainfall.  But again, I am grateful... those in the typhoons direct path will deal with this, plus typhoon force winds of the most intense magnitude.

Anyways..   its like a bowling ball that has been released down the lane...  its just a matter of time before it strikes... and we begin to pick up the pieces... again.

I got this message today from a woman I admire more than most.  She is someone quite close to me and my family.  These words are not her's, but from a friend of hers, whom she's met and who also does important work in the Philippines... In the spirit of community, Im forwarding her thoughts because they in many ways mirror my own.  (Thank you Anika, you are loved!).  The only thing I would add to this is this:

Thoughts in your mind reproduce after their kind.  Be so very careful of what you think, let alone say.  If you spend a moment today pointing blame rather than engaging in positive change... you are wasting your potential.  In that moment of casting blame YOU BECOME THE PROBLEM!  Unlike the gal in this post... perhaps I am pointing a finger....   Have the courage, expend the calories to become a force of positive influence in the lives of others and watch your own life unfold in beautiful ways.  I believe that the universe is crafted in this way.  What you give you also shall receive.  This concept is universally shared in all of the worlds main religions.  What will you give today besides your opinion?  The world already has too many empty words.
===
Backpedaling in view of Ruby
With a pretty daft start into this last day of the week, I was just observing myself bitching about what I may call my problems and frustrations. But then, I am back in touch with my friends and colleagues in the Philippines, who are - almost exactly one year and one month after the massive calamity that typhoon Yolanda caused on 7 November 2013 - currently preparing for the next approaching typhoon, Ruby, already dealt with as new super typhoon. And I realise that I should better just. hold. my. breath.
It has been just a couple of weeks, that Kakay (Kareen) and the supporters of HIP officially handed over our beautifully rebuilt and improved communal buildings on the islets in Bantayan, all heavily affected by Yolanda, and, only a small number of all the areas pretty much forgotten in the crazy (international) aid run into Tacloban and Leyte / Samar last Christmas and after. Not only are all the immense work, love, commitment, and resources put into these projects now again at stake, much worse are also the people living in the track of Yolanda at that time and, again, Ruby this time, threatened once more.
This, what may be my longest Facebook post ever, will also be my last for this year, as I feel increasingly sick looking at the daily expressed egocentric superficiality, personal pseudo-drama, and expressions of iPhone-, handbag- or other consumables-mania that fill the daily horizon of so many, albeit its morally conflicting nature with the lived realities of so many. It is the ME that matters, particularly here on Facebook.
While us here in the West, comfortably feeding our healthy buts with cookies, wine, and consumption for Christmas, "others" are RIGHT NOW fearing for their lives, do not know how to feed their kids at night, or where to find shelter. The pictures of Ruby leave not only myself wondering, how much more will have to happen until 'mankind' will eventually start rethinking and taking joint responsibility for what is happening in the world, with our people and our nature.
While I had and have the chance to travel, to make friends around the world, I am not able to distance myself anymore from the pictures of catastrophes I see on TV, from the bad news we receive on a daily basis, from fears and problems friends, families of friends and friends' friends around the world are facing. These hours, I find not only my colleagues and friends in the Philippines rightly worried, preparing to avoid the repetition of last year's disaster. Also my friends and family here, especially those who supported HIP and all our post-Yolanda efforts throughout the past year, are deeply concerned in view of the expected landfall of Ruby, reassuring myself that there ARE other things that MATTER and that there still exists something called SOLIDARITY.
Without a wagging finger, this is the attempt of a reminder (to myself and others) to backpedal for a minute, and be it in the festive sense of Christmas season - it is never too late to put things and "problems" into perspective.
In that sense - have a joyful X-Mas season everyone and - most importantly - be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment