Thursday, December 4, 2014

Skirting the storm

Made it to Naga, along with 20 or so other volunteers.  Last night was a trip and a half!  The streets were teeming with people; so many people it was hard to walk in the sidewalks... I suppose this was normal for Naga, but certainly unusual to this Lagonoyian!  .

I ended up at a bar with a few PCVs...  I remember eating "olive pesto" (Yum!) There was live music.  In fact, one of the PCVs is in a relationship with the young man who performed and it seems they are very close.  It was so interesting watching the dynamic of that situation...  One of the things that is fascinating is that so many of these volunteers know one another... and they are obviously very close.  Of course, I am the "oldie"; they are much younger than I.  It makes me envious in a number of ways.  Anyway, I probably drank too much and danced too much because I don't remember much!

So, I find it interesting that Peace Corps is calling  this event a "consolidation" rather than an "evacuation".  They are pulling us together but don't want anyone to have the impression that we are getting out of harms way.  Im sitting here now getting an internet update on the typhoon just offshore.  It looks to be making landfall in  a day or so.  Luckily, current models of the typhoon path show that it is not likely to track north.  This means that it appears unlikely that it will pass directly over Lagonoy, but rather track south by a couple of hundred kilometers.   A close call but not a direct hit!  As it looks, it will mean wind and a ton of rain, but no destruction...   I am praying!

This is all costing me money, by the way.  PC gave us 3000ps in advance emergency money for such a situation, but I had already begun thinking of that advance as money that I would use for my vacation!   Sadly, Ive got to use that now to pay for hotel and food expenses related for this event.  So, in the end, this damn typhoon is costing money that I could have spent on Palawan... and that has me a bit disturbed as well.   Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment