Tuesday, October 28, 2014

BBQ options

so, there is this little lady who, every night, dutifully sets up shop in the corner next to my house.  She brings charcoal,  a little stand and a makeshift bbq apparatus plus food. she has these sauces in jars and, as I have observed, she will dip the cooked meat into whatever potion you wish.  The meat is on skewers...

I have never approached her because of a few reasons.. one) it takes a while to cook the meat and I am a little worried that it might cause some discomfort with me being a foreigner and all, two) Im a bit troubled by the quality of the food, and three) I have no idea what the food is.

Anyway... tonight, after my nightly run to dispose of my trash, I stopped.  I told the kind woman that I think I wanted to try her bbq... I mean, if smell is any indication.. the bbq is legit.  Of course, she recognizes me because we pass nearly daily and she is excited that I have finally approached.  There are three choices in meat skewers and she would like to know which one I would prefer.... As it turns out, my choices are skewered pig liver, chicken intestine or chicken heads on a stick.

This choice selection created an awkward moment...  In fact, I really don't think that any of these choices were on my anticipated menu list... I mean, where were the chicken wings???

Im sorry if this is boring to you (Ive spoken on this topic before), but it is clearly the most interesting thing that happened to me today... As I dive deeper into "food choice" vs/ "food necessity" I am reminded just how privileged I am to live in the US where in fact, I do have a choice as to what nutritional source will enter the temple of my body.  As it turned out, I chose to pass and ended up making popcorn for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment