Sunday, February 1, 2015

the barkada

Yesterday was just another day in a most exceptional adventure.  It began with a text from a friend.  By the end, I had been hosted by a father and son playing native tagalog songs on violin and guitar and I had laughed with my best friends.  And I had cried.

These men I have come to know… come to share hours and hours of talking, singing, and laughter…  I just want to state that they are more than just convenient friends…  they have become my close friends.  I daresay, as close to a fraternity of brotherhood than I have ever been lucky enough to associate myself with.  Unquestioning in their loyalty to one another and to me, they are, to a person, good men.   They have allowed me into their lives with no reservation and have accepted who I am with generosity. and kind hearts.  They have introduced me to their families and they have fed me.  They have literally given me their shirts.  And they have taken care of me when I have fallen.  

They had the insight to know that we were going to become close friends even before I recognized it.  And last night, they understood that I will miss them, just as they will miss me. 

So, I wake today with a heavy heart indeed.  And as I walk through the next passageway in my life, I cannot close the room I have just passed through.  There is far too much value in keeping that door open. 


Onward I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment