Thursday, September 18, 2014

Steeeeerikeeee!

I never realized this, but weather in the Philippines is a bit like bowling.  See, the Philippines are the pins and the tropical storms are the bowling balls!  I have never in my life seen such tropical disturbances - storm after storm after storm.. and they pack a LOT of rain!  Last weekend was Luis, and this weekend is Marcos.  Knock on wood, we haven't seen much in the way of wind, but all the rain does bring a lot of local landslides that causes real problems.  If you are so inclined, keep abreast of this bowling alley at:

http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/satelliteworld/pacificoceansatellite_large.html.  Then look for Pacific Ocean Western Satellite.

No work tomorrow (Friday) as its a big holiday in nearby Naga.  Lots of folks are going, but I am not.  Apparently, thousands arrive for the parades and traffic and drinking are unreasonable and it would just be one day up and back, since I have nowhere to stay and all the hotels are apparently booked and I don't have much money anyway.  I also want to get to Legazpi City, but with the volcano ready to blow its top there, PC is advising us to avoid that region for a while.   So, looks like I'll be homebound for a few days. On Monday, I AM going to Naga to visit with the Governors office (on invitation) and also the regional police office.  I will take the opportunity while there to look into some vacation planning, as Naga has the closest travel agency.

I actually put together a one day presentation today so I felt quite productive.  Now, if I can only get someone to translate it into Tagalog for me we'll be cooking with real fire!  It boils down to a basic primer on disaster management and covers preparedness, response, recovery and long-term redevelopment topics.  It seems that the people I have spoken with here have a hard time separating these activities and therefore have trouble properly planning.  Hopefully, this will help.  I've also included two exercises: one is to track a typhoon coordinates over a three day period on a pacific typhoon map, and the other is a exercise on the power of storm surges.  I also think I've been able to drum up a forum for this adventure, as the Lagonoy administrator has agreed to host the event at our local hotel here.  So, there's progress, huh?

I am using the internet to follow my Pittsburgh Pirates, if only in the standings.  Go Bucs!  Baseball really has become a sort of 'David and Goliath" sport.  Pittsburgh is such a puny team compared to the others -- their coaching staff should win lots of awards!  Wish them well, along with me, as they head into October!

1 comment: