Friday, August 15, 2014

One week down

I am getting excited about getting out of the metro area and moving to my location.  Apparently, my domicile will be in the same compound as my place of work (the municipal building in Laganoy).  Ive seen pictures and it looks quite nice!  I am told that my area is beautiful, yet quite rural.

Today, we will go to some resort outside of Manila for water safety training that will include swimming of some sort.  Since arriving here, we've all been given a ton of stuff from PC - life jackets, mosquito nets, medical kits, etc... Im not sure how I am going to fit all this into my bags when I depart, so that will be interesting.  Also was informed that transportation will be airplane, then bus, so that was news! There is a delegation of three coming to Manila next week to meet me, so I am excited about that as well.

Last night we all found a great spot nearby for eats... most excellent food!  We are in a "food culture" which means that food is a big part of establishing community.  Of course, there is breakfast, lunch and dinner, but there is also 'meranda', which is mid morning and early afternoon snack!  We should indulge in these, even if just to taste, as it would appear rude to not do so.  Im just a little concerned about all this eating, but time will tell.  A little worried about the pig blood soup... A little worried about the dog, which apparently is a frequent appetizer eaten in casual get togethers.  A touch worried about the chicken heads (called helmet, locally).  I can only hope that these are fried!  And of course the "balut" - look it up online, it just may surprise you!  Live and learn, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment