Sunday, August 10, 2014

First impressions

4am - Monday, 8/11

The pension is quiet at this hour.  Nothing but me, a cleaning guy and a guest who is obviously heading out early this morning.  The sound of the street is behind me as I sit it the open air "lobby".  Just heard a rooster crow in this city of 14 million people.

Yesterday was great. Jet lag hasn't hit me in any serious way.  this could mean two things:  Either a) its about to, or b) I finally cracked the 12 hour time change routine.  I sure hope its the former because training today is supposed to take 8 hours. About yesterday: basically time spent with the other 8 volunteers (in different groups of 3 or 4 at a time).  All are friendly, all have worldwise travel experience.  Most are younger, some are older.  As best  can tell, all but me have been in the PC with the past 5 years.  The pension is also filled with other types of PCVs - those who are going to COS (Close of Service) either as early terminations (ET) or those who are here in the main capital because they are sick, or those who are celebrating close of service (COS).  All three groups are interesting and full of great stories.  All seem quite friendly and in love with the Philippines, if not PC itself.  So that is encouraging.

I am told that my daily budget will be modest and that I most likely will be living in a one room hotel with, hopefully, a private bathroom.  I am also told that my area is a good one:  a good PC presence and nice beaches!  The local volcano gave the locals a scare last year when it vented for a few weeks, so that is something to think about.  Power was restored to the area last week after about 3 weeks of outage following the last cyclone.

Early impressions of Manila:  it reminds me of Hong Kong without the mountains and the New York feel.  Very dirty (of course).  Crazy cars running everywhere.  Lots of pedestrian traffic, moped maniacs.  One big difference is the countless numbers of children begging in the streets.  Ive seen homeless of course, just not so many homeless families!  Thousands of them!  Most of the kids will leave you alone if you just ignore them after a few steps but the more persistent hang with you for a block or two.  I am not heartless, but Ive learned that, like seagulls at the seashore, giving to one will lead to a flock rather instantaneously. Sad but true.  Like any huge city, we are warned to travel smart and always with a partner.


No comments:

Post a Comment